As Christians we are called to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ. If you are anything like me, this is an extremely difficult thing to do. There just never seems to be a good time to broach the subject. To be honest, I am afraid of the awkwardness this discussion might cause.

Running has torn down the awkwardness and created a platform for me to talk freely about my faith. It is my hope that these stories will help draw you closer to our creator – through whom we all have the strength to move mountains.

God has given me a body built for endurance. Over the years, I have run a few races and met many wonderful and interesting people. These posts contain my stories. You do not need to be a runner to relate to these events. We are all running the race of life. We all have our peaks and valleys that we have to climb and descend.

My Family

My Family
My Lovely Wife Christina & Sons: Chase, Cruz, & Dash Dexter

YouTube Video of 2010 McNaughton 200 Mile Trail Run

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Petzl ULTRA BELT ACCU4 - An Essential Trail Running Tool

Many people have asked about what supplies my crew and I brought with us to battle it out over 200 trail miles. The Petzl Ultra Belt ACCU4 was one of the most "game changing" supplies we had.

I was fortunate enough to have been given a Petzl Ultra Headlamp as a loaner from Petzl before the start of the McNaughton Park 200 Mile Trail Run. This race is run over a 10-mile looped trail that is not lighted and without a flashlight would be pitch dark. The Ultra Headlamp lit up the course. On medium setting it had more than enough light to brighten the dark woods and also had enough juice to last through the night. Everyone on my crew marveled about how bright the light was - but were also surprised that that battery pack was not very heavy.

The light can certainly be worn by the runner - which I did on one of the laps. But works best when worn by a pacer running right next to you or slightly behind you shooting the light over the runner's shoulder. If the pacer gets too far behind - the light creates shadows that make it hard to see ahead. But when running side-by-side or slightly behind, this light is worth its weight in gold. On the third night, it was raining/snowing and very dark, without the Petzl Ultra Headlamp lighting up the un-runnable spots - I am certain that at least one person from my crew would have been injured during the night. Thank you Petzl - your lights are amazing!

In the following photo, you can see that I was wearing the Petzl MYO XP headlamp and my pacer Darren Fortney was wearing the Petzl Ultra Belt ACCU4.